[Pdweb] a place for ... GEM

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jun 13 16:17:42 CEST 2007

On Jun 13, 2007, at 3:34 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

>>> I didn't yet look at this product, but from what you wrote so far
>>> this
>>> looks like a very cool thing to have.
>>
>> I think that Plone is much too complicated for what we need for
>> puredata.info.  I think we would be better off if the whole thing was
>> a wiki.  Right now we get very little user generated content, there
>> are only a couple contributors to the website.  I think this is
>> because things are much too complicated.
>
> well, as asiad in previous emails: the good thing about plone is, that
> it has a wiki.
> so people can do sophisticated stuff with it if they are willing to
> get
> into it, or just use simple things they already know.

The plone upgrade has helped this a lot, the previous support for
wikis was pretty weak.  Now I think it can be claimed that plone has
a wiki (i.e. wiki folders).

But whenever something is a "plone" page and something different than
a wiki, then it limits who's going to use it, since most people don't
want to learn plone.  That's why I had the "member downloads" page as
a wiki, but it seems you have converted it to some plone thing
without asking anyone.

>> As for the downloads page, I am currently the maintainer and I really
>> see no advantage to changing it.  If you want to add the plone
>> software center as an additional thing, that's fine by me.
>
> as far as i can see, the current downloads page is really just one
> page
> with a short enumeration of downloadable things, organized in a
> not-too-appealing way (sorry if this sounds harsh; i am no web-
> designer
> either).
>
> the main problem with the downloads section is, however, that there is
> no place where people are allowed to put their packages. (though they
> can easily add their package to the enumeration, once they have
> found a
> place for it).

> so i still have 2 options:
> either register a 2nd project at sourceforge, or implement an adequate
> mechanism on puredata.info (which i prefer, since it is more fun on
> my side)
>

> otoh, i AM willing to maintain a changed downloads section.

I think it's pretty easy to add downloads to this page, but not
especially pretty:

http://puredata.org/downloads/other_members

Right now, a common problem is that people don't know which package
to download.  Adding more packages to the front of the download page
will only make it more confusing.  While I completely support vibrez
and desiredata, I think it's pretty clear at this point that they are
separate projects, with their own websites, lists, etc.  So it does
not make sense to also have dd and vibrez packages here.

.hc