[Pdweb] wiki syntax for puredata.info

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Sep 26 17:05:06 CEST 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 2:58 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Would anyone here refuse to give up Structured Text or rST?  I find
>

> i would prefer to keep ST.
>
> - i use it throughout my work, so i am used to it.
> - you can include html-code (so everyone who wants to write html can
> just do so)
>
> i have no strong opinion on rST though.
>
> mfasd.r
> IOhannes

I have a strong opinion about ST, I think it has major usability
problems.  Minor changes at the bottom of a markup document should
not mess up the formatting of a section above it.  The indent-based
formatting is inappropriate for editing text in a web form because
with the word wrapping, it's quite difficult to tell what's
deliberately indented and what's wrapped.  Plus it's syntax is quite
a bit different than other wikis, especially the widely used ones, so
that means people have to learn it specifically.

My guess is that ST would be fine if 1) you are a python programmer
and 2) you use a specialized editor for it.  The way we use it, it is
a hinderance.

----

                             kill your television