[Pdweb] wiki syntax for puredata.info

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Sep 26 19:04:45 CEST 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 11:32 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>

>> I have a strong opinion about ST, I think it has major usability
>
> i thought that you would have a strong opinion...
> nevertheless
>
>> problems.  Minor changes at the bottom of a markup document should
>> not mess up the formatting of a section above it.
>
> i have never encountered such a thing in my day-to-day use of ST.
> could you please give an example?

I've encountered it many times.  I try to avoid formatting as much as
possible when writing ST because it can be really erratic and
difficult to debug.  With mediawiki/dokuwiki/pmwiki, I have no such
problems, I use formatting all the time, even more advanced things
like tables and multi-level lists, and now Infoboxes with pdpedia.

http://puredata.org/docs/developer/HelpTemplate

Here's an example, why is "Standard Receive Symbols" grey and small?
It has a new line before it, and is indented one space, just like the
"Files" header.

Also, if you look at the "doc/pddp/templates/template..." lines, they
do not look intended, because they are wrapped.  But if you check,
they are on the same line as the one above, which only has 2 spaces
on it.

.hc

>> Plus it's syntax is quite
>> a bit different than other wikis, especially the widely used ones, so
>> that means people have to learn it specifically.
>
> ST is not a wiki dialect per se.
>

>> My guess is that ST would be fine if 1) you are a python programmer
>> and 2) you use a specialized editor for it.  The way we use it, it is
>> a hinderance.
>
> i am neither a python programmer nor do i use a specialized editor for
> it (i use html-forms; no wysiwyg javascript sh!t)
>

> mfga.dsr
> IOhannes

----

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams