[Pdweb] puredata.org -> puredata.info

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Oct 24 01:02:40 CEST 2007

Hey all,

Now that I am working with the website again, I am getting frustrated
by the multiple domains acting like separate sites, with separate
logins, etc.   Ideally, I think every single public domain
(puredata.org, www.puredata.org, www.puredata.info, pure-data.info,
gem.iem.at, etc.) should redirect to one standard domain name.  This
is "best practice" for websites for a number of reasons:

1) one login works for all links
2) search engine ranks are higher since all links are seen as one site
3) less confusion over which name to use

An IOhannes, I know you've mentioned that you use the multiple
domains for testing.  You can do the same thing but creating test
domains:

test1.puredata.info
test2.puredata.info
test3.puredata.info
test4.puredata.info

Or you can also achieve the same result using multiple browsers.

gem.iem.at can easily redirect to puredata.info/community/projects/
gem (or wahtever it is).

I'll happily write the apache.conf stuff for the above. Even if it
was just puredata.org redirecting, that would be an improvement.

----

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson