[Pdweb] platform_* images

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 9 18:46:51 CET 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 4:19 AM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> Quoting Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:
>
>> How about we switch the win32 Gem build to be autoconf/makefile/gcc
>> based on MinGW?  Then it'll be automatically built every night.  I am
>> willing to work with you on this one.  I think it'll save us a lot of
>> work in the long run.
>

> i have never used this on w32 so i will not be of help here.
> if somebody does the work, i will try to include it in the Gem
> sources.
>
> work has been done in the past to build Gem on w32 using cygwin.
> afair, it involved patching the DirectX-SDK header files, somthing i
> don't really want.
>
> and i don't want to drop support for M$VC altogether.
> i will also refrain from dropping support for building Gem with g++,
> just because intel's compiler produces better code.
>

> however, this is exactly why i pulled this thread in this direction:
> like in pd-extended, manpower is simply missing; even if you are
> willing to spend time working on this and i were willing to spend time
> working on pd-ext, we still only have 24 hours per day.
> i am not sure, whether it is such a good idea to put additional
> workload on those who already carry their fair share.

If I can see that this will save me work in the long run, I am
willing to do it.  But yes, it would be much better if there was
someone who would step up as the Windows maintainer.

----

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne