[Pdweb] [PD] gallery section (Was:Re: [PD-announce] some works done with pd)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jul 30 18:07:48 CEST 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 2:54 AM, Steffen Juul wrote:

> Please reply to pdweb to continue this discussion.
>
> On 29/07/2008, at 19.36, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> This reminds me, we really need that gallery section on puredata.info
>> to show stuff like this off...  It was so close to completion, anyone
>> want to take it live?
>
> First off, i'm the slack bus-hit someone that didn't complete the
> gallery (ie. the exhibition) section mentioned.
>
> I have been meaning to get back about it, but decided to not do it
> till i had more solid things to offer then ideas. Well, now i'll have
> to push in the ideas without the solid stuff. I'll be brief and leave
> out (most of) my reasons:
>
> * I think the exhibition section should be discarded. It has in parts
> been replaced by a goto10 project (that reach much wider in scope
> though) and more importantly - to put it diplomatically - the
> publishing scheme is not compatible with the target community.

I don't understand what the replacement is?

> * There should instead be made weblog sync point for Pd related
> weblogs posts á la ProcessingBlogs. It should be simple to manage:
> Anyone wanting their Pd related weblogs posts to be in the common
> feed should supply a feed url with a "tag" for the Pd related posts
> in their feed. Either to a person doing the management (could be done
> in turns) or if possible through the IEM/Pd.info/plone-setup thing.

This sounds very useful.  I think perhaps it could be a module in
puredata.info. It could also be a separate server/site if someone
else wanted to host it, something like blog.puredata.info.  I think
IEM does enough, it's good to share the work load.  Of course, I have
no problem if IEM (namely, IOhannes) wants to host it.

> * Also there should be a concise wiki page with examples of what
> could be done with Pd. People writing that would want to suppress
> there ego for a second and think about what newcomers would most-
> likely want to see when looking into what Pd is by what can be done
> in Pd. Also therefore it shouldn't seek all the outer limits but
> include stuff like a simple algo-composing and loop-sampler example.

To me, this sounds like the exhibition as we originally planned it.
IIRC, you basically had it setup, we just needed to launch it.  The
idea of having it curated with a ban on self-posting should help the
ego.  I think this in conjuction with the blogs would work well.