[Pdweb] plone Redirection Tool

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 1 09:41:28 CET 2009

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> I (re?)installed the Redirection Tool in Plone today and tried to get it
>> to work.  Its not easy to get going.  I was trying to use it so that we
>> can organized some of the random pages better, but not break old links.
>> Anyone know how to use it?

so do you actually want to move pages?

i think the best feature of the redirection tool is that it will turn
the 404 page dynamically into a serach result page based on the URL.

e.g. http://puredata.info/steiner will give you some (though not all)
pages containing "Steiner"

i would suggest to just use this feature and not setup too many aliases.
it will make the entire system a bit hard to maintain: e.g. you don't
see anywhere that /hans is actually an alias to /Members/hans (unless
you enter /hans in your browser)
so people might just readd content (e.g. create a folder "/hans/") and
then we have total confusion, because it used to be /hans then it became
/Members/hans and now there is /hans again, even though the alias is
intact (but overridden by the actual data that _is_ there).

a more practical solution is to just use the "link" content, which can
point to an internal document/folder as well.
it will:
- redirect the browser in most circumstances (and if it does not, it
will provide the user with information on where they will find the info
they want)
- provide a content-object (so editors now that the content has moved as
well, just by looking at the TOC)
- even work recursively (i thought it would not; but after a quick test
i see that it does)

> apart from that i vaguely remember that i uninstalled the product after
> some discussion on this list (or pd-list).
> cannot find it now, though.

ah i remember now, this is was when i wanted to merge the doc/src and
the src/doc.

fgmadsr
IOhannes