[Pdweb] Pd web site architecture

Nicolas Montgermont nicolas_montgermont at yahoo.fr
Mon Feb 20 10:22:54 CET 2012

Before starting to work on this, could we consider upgrading plone?
What i'm seeing from the plone website, the 4 version seems much more
easy to use both for admin and users,
it will be easier to manage content / and to improve layout / design.
Iohannes do you think there is a possiblity of a secure upgrading from
the version we have now?
I mean with a backup somewhere, if it fails.

Le 20/02/12 02:36, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :

>>     - the "software" and "exhibition" must get out of this section
>>     cause they are important topics, and have specific tabs in the menus.
>>

> I would like to see the whole /community/projects/software section
> just be permanently moved to /downloads/ and then put redirect rules
> for backward compatibility.  I think IOhannes said he was OK with that
> too.  Mostly, its a matter of someone figuring out how to do it.
ok

>>     - Pd art / Pd music / tracks / ... should go into the "exhibition"
>>

> Those are a bit different.  The exhibition has one strict rule: no
> self-promotion.  That is the most open yet curated form that we could
> come up with when we organized it.  And I think it still makes sense.
>  Then, there are other areas for self-promotion.  As for that section,
> it doesn't seem to be used much, so it could go awy.
mmm true. Maybe we can have two "levels" here. A featured section that
is no self promotion, and an "other projects" category where people can
simply add their stuff?

>>     - patchings circles and local pd groups can be subsection of a
>>     bigger "meetings" category.
>>     - member downloads should include pd patches / projects that
>>     doesn't take the shape of librairies.
>>

> I think the 'member downloads' section is obsolete.  People can either
> post things on their own member pages, or they can add them to the
> /downloads/ section.
>
>>     * every sub section must have a formatted page, even if it's a folder
>>
>>     * creating folder should be disabled for standard members to
>>     prevent having a complex menu on the left. but users may create
>>     page/content in the member download / meetings / convention topics.
>>

> One possibility is using Wiki Folders for the whole community section,
> then everything would be wiki pages, and there would not be more
> levels of folders.  I think there is a way to add a Wiki Page to the
> left menu under the community section, but I don't know how off hand.
I'll get a look. But i'm not sure if "wiki pages" are not a trap here, i
mean which other specificities do they have?

>>     * users can edit all pages. except maybe the "community" one.
>>

> As for editing restrictions, I don't think we need any.  There has
> really be very few bad edits that needed to be reverted, from what
> I've seen.  I think it'll be a lot more work for everyone to manage
> the restrictions than just handle the very occasional bad edits.  If
> it does become a problem, we can revisit that.
ok

>>     * How can I easily know who has worked in that section? when i
>>     hit "history" i only have a possiblity to reverse the last edit.
>>

> The History browser isn't so easy to follow, but you can go back thru
> all of the edits if its a wiki page.  Other kinds of pages are different.
>
>>     * I was wandering if there is an easy possiblity to get rid of
>>     the "Frontpage" title, i've tested to create a page for my
>>     profile and to display it instead of the folder listing:
>>     http://puredata.info/Members/nixhol
>>     it's working well, what is the difference with, for example the
>>     community folder?
>>     http://puredata.info/community
>>

> About the FrontPage title, I've gotten into weird loops where plone
> would then somehow automatically recreate a page called FrontPage,
> while leaving the one called Home.  So I just gave up and went with
> using the default names.

a pity. upgrade? :)
I have a bit of time this week, so maybe i'll start to work on this
these days.
Best,

http://nim.on.free.fr