[Pdweb] Pd web site architecture

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Feb 21 04:57:14 CET 2012

It would be nice to have plone upgraded.  That's really up to IOhannnes, I think, since I think its only possible for him to do the work, given he manages that server.

About a totally open exhibition, perhaps we could have some kind of feed of people's projects, perhaps, where anyone can throw anything.

.hc

On Feb 20, 2012, at 4:22 AM, Nicolas Montgermont wrote:

> Before starting to work on this, could we consider upgrading plone?
> What i'm seeing from the plone website, the 4 version seems much more easy to use both for admin and users,
> it will be easier to manage content / and to improve layout / design.
> Iohannes do you think there is a possiblity of a secure upgrading from the version we have now?
> I mean with a backup somewhere, if it fails.
>
> Le 20/02/12 02:36, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>>

>>> - the "software" and "exhibition" must get out of this section cause they are important topics, and have specific tabs in the menus.
>>
>> I would like to see the whole /community/projects/software section just be permanently moved to /downloads/ and then put redirect rules for backward compatibility.  I think IOhannes said he was OK with that too.  Mostly, its a matter of someone figuring out how to do it.
> ok
>>
>>> - Pd art / Pd music / tracks / ... should go into the "exhibition"
>>
>> Those are a bit different.  The exhibition has one strict rule: no self-promotion.  That is the most open yet curated form that we could come up with when we organized it.  And I think it still makes sense.  Then, there are other areas for self-promotion.  As for that section, it doesn't seem to be used much, so it could go awy.
> mmm true. Maybe we can have two "levels" here. A featured section that is no self promotion, and an "other projects" category where people can simply add their stuff?

>>> - patchings circles and local pd groups can be subsection of a bigger "meetings" category.
>>> - member downloads should include pd patches / projects that doesn't take the shape of librairies.
>>
>> I think the 'member downloads' section is obsolete.  People can either post things on their own member pages, or they can add them to the /downloads/ section.
>>
>>> * every sub section must have a formatted page, even if it's a folder
>>>
>>> * creating folder should be disabled for standard members to prevent having a complex menu on the left. but users may create page/content in the member download / meetings / convention topics.
>>
>> One possibility is using Wiki Folders for the whole community section, then everything would be wiki pages, and there would not be more levels of folders.  I think there is a way to add a Wiki Page to the left menu under the community section, but I don't know how off hand.
> I'll get a look. But i'm not sure if "wiki pages" are not a trap here, i mean which other specificities do they have?
>>

>>> * users can edit all pages. except maybe the "community" one.
>>
>> As for editing restrictions, I don't think we need any.  There has really be very few bad edits that needed to be reverted, from what I've seen.  I think it'll be a lot more work for everyone to manage the restrictions than just handle the very occasional bad edits.  If it does become a problem, we can revisit that.
> ok

> [...]

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -Admiral Gene LeRocque