[Pdweb] next steps

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed May 8 03:01:38 CEST 2013

On 04/28/2013 11:32 AM, András Murányi wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Nicolas Montgermont <
> nicolas_montgermont at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
>>  Hello all,
>>
>> I think the main question is concerning the upgrade of plone. Shall we
>> upgrade or not?
>> If we want to upgrade the website, many modifications will be made another
>> way (css, footer, ...) and really simpler, so I'm not sure they are useful
>> to work on now.
>> But as we have discussed before the upgrade is a complex process, and
>> Iohannes has to be involved for a few key operations.
>>
>> here is a copy of one of my mail of last november, that is still pertinent:
>> --
>> 1 - installing a new hidden plone.
>> 2 - thinking the architecture of the new site
>> 3 - filling the architecture with the "old" content
>> 4 - graphical design of the new site
>> 5 - filling the website with member contents
>> 6 - checking and switching to the new version.
>>
>> A proposal on how we should do that:
>> step 1 : handled by Iohannes/Andras?
>> step 2 : discussion on this list
>> step 3 : handled by section responsables (if we agree on this kind of
>> organisation)
>> step 4 : discussion on this list and marco's implementation.
>> step 5 : maybe we can send a mail to every member of the actual site to
>> have them move their own content?
>> step 6 : pdweb-list and maybe pd-list help.
>>
>> I think it's no problem if we have all this switching lasting a few
>> months. The longest step for me is step 5, and I think it's really better
>> if we let a long time to people to switch their content.
>> An intermediate part of the website between members and architecture is
>> the community section, where it is good to have people create their own
>> page for patching circles and others. I am ok to write a little tutorial to
>> achieve an homogen creation of specific pages, and to write individual
>> mails to each local groups member.
>> --
>>
>> I think it's a very important point to upgrade plone, for now and future
>> years...
>> best,
>>

> Thinking about this, a reasonable approach could be to upgrade
> before/instead of putting more work into the old site.
> The upgrade shall go as described by Nicholas, which means that in practice
> it will be a migration rather than an upgrade.
> Whenever IOhannes (1.) installs a blank copy of the newest Plone anywhere
> on the server, and eventually (2.) gives us read-only access to the old
> database and (3.) read-write access to the new database, we can start
> playing around without any risk involved.

I think upgrading plone would be super valuable, thank y'all for leading this
effort!  I guess my only concern with this plan, as someone who used to do
quite a few upgrades of this sort 10+ years ago, is that a migration would be
massively labor intensive.

Does plone have migration tools to smooth that process?  There should be an
"upgrade path" for the current plone install.

.hc