[GEM-dev] how close are we...

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Jul 22 13:56:01 CEST 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, tigital wrote:
> ...besides the above, does everyone like the example patches?  From the
> questions we get about use, it's sometimes hard to see that newbies
> actually look at them, but just the same they should be a robust set of
> examples...also, I just compared the help files with actual source
> files, and here's a list of objects that don't seem to have help files

.. the html documentation needs an update too.

> built:
> GEOS
> cuboid
> newWave
> ripple
> rubber
> slideSquares
>
> MANIPS
> polygon_smooth
I think the naming concept is a bit strange with that. The underscore
suggests that it belongs to a group of objects (like pix_ part_ ext),
while it doesn't, and it is rather a "normal" gem OpenGL command.

It would be more consistent to call it "smooth", plain, like "alpha".

> MARKEX
> abs
> m_control?
> multiselect?
> reson?
> strcat?

I think they should go away ...

> PARTICLES
> part_info
> part_render
> part_vector?
>
> PIX's
> pix_background
> pix_backlight
> pix_blur
> pix_buffer (read/write?)
> pix_chroma_key
> pix_color
> pix_colorreduce
> pix_compare
> pix_convert
> pix_crop
> pix_delay
> pix_depot (get/put?)
> pix_dot
> pix_duotone
> pix_dv
> pix_emboss
> pix_grey
> pix_info
> pix_levels
> pix_lumaoffset
> pix_mix
> pix_motionblur
> pix_pix2sig~.pd or pix_pix2sig.pd?
> pix_posterize
> pix_rds
> pix_roll
> pix_scanline
> pix_sig2pix~.pd or pix_sig2pix.pd?
> pix_snap2tex
> pix_test
> pix_tIIR
> pix_yuv
>
> ...so I guess we all have a little bit of effort to put forth
> here...plus, existing objects such as gemwin, pix_film, pix_texture,
> and others have undergone major changes, so they also need to be
> reviewed/updated...

Yep. What about producing a template for  the help-* patches (we have
to rename them for pd-0.37 too, right ?) and ask gem users to help
with the documentation effort.

I think it would be nice if the help patches have a minimal functionality
too, so the user can see the effect directly.

> ...beyond that, some of my "soon todo" list includes:
> - adding other model formats
> - fullscreen motion blur
> - "snap to tex" that results in a further processable image

isn't that what pix_snap does ?

> - quicktime vr (is there anything like this on linux?)
> - vertex/fragment programming/shaders
>
> ...enough of a job to keep us busy for awhile!

thats for sure.

Guenter