[GEM-dev] Re: [PD] Gem compile problems

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jul 25 18:03:46 CEST 2004

guenter geiger wrote:
> Hi
>
> If you are on Debian, you should always try the Debian package first,
> this should keep you out of all the compilation trouble.

and in fact, the gem in the unstable-branch is really up-to-date.

> If you are not happy with the precompiled version (it doesn't have
> avi support, because libavifile is not cross platform) let me

this is something i don't quite understand.
libavifile is not cross-platform. ok.
the gem-sources are. ok.
the gem-binaries are not. is there no possibility to add platform
specific depends ?
looking at packages.debian.org i noticed that - for instance -  gem
depends on libc6.1 for alpha/ia64 and libc6 for other architectures.
so i guess it would be possible to have a (build-)depend for libavifile
on i386 only.
(this would especially be useful, as i have noticed major problems with
libquicktime: a) arbitrarily freezes on 2.6-systems; b) wrong
build-configuration does not detect the plugin-path)

mfg.a.sdr
IOhannes