[PD-dev] PD canvas interaction - flext GUI

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Thu Oct 17 20:14:12 CEST 2002

hi Thomas,

sorry about being so slow with responding (surely much less
responsive than tcl/tk-based gui:)

Thomas Grill wrote:
 > am 16.10.2002 15:21 Uhr schrieb Krzysztof Czaja unter czaja at chopin.edu.pl:
 >>actually I need only mouse _position_ polling (or, strictly
 >>speaking, sampling), which is available by calling winfo pointerxy.
 >

 > Hmmm, i don't understand the advantage of polling compared to position
 > events. If you want to poll from TCL/TK you would have to trigger a TK
 > function and get the values via a bound message (but you know that).
 > So using the mouse events, cache the position and do the polling (if
 > necessary) internally seems more convenient to me.

well, this is just how MouseState works -- by default, it has to
be banged in order to report mouse position (ok, this should be
called sampling, not polling).  Moreover, winfo pointerxy seems
to be the only way of just getting the current mouse position
reliably, i.e. to cover entire screen (as long as any of Pd
windows is focused), and not being hampered by anybody imposing
weird hooks upon pd.tk...

About the main subject of this thread -- I really like Guenter's
idea of defining an abstract middle layer (or just a simple,
toolkit-independent api)...

Krzysztof