[PD-dev] dev meeting comments

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Sat May 28 11:19:51 CEST 2005

hi all, especially miller, matju and winfried ...

just a few comments, since i had to leave very early ...

- i'd definitely prefer to use multiple threads instead of multiple
processes, since it's easier to share data, since we don't have the
socket connection ... on the other hand, it wouldn't be that easy to
build a custom gui for pd ... (except when adding a send/recv h
anyway, since the tcl/tk code is virtually everywhere in the pd core,
it's already pretty impossible to build a custom gui ...
still, i'd strongly vote for seperating g

- a short time ago, i was doing some low latency benchmarks ... it seems
that the send / recv system calls should be avoided in a realtime thread
... having a gui _thread_ it would be possible to synchronize gui /
kernel via the lock-free fifos, that are implemented in devel ...

basically, i'm not sure, if we should use an external scripting language
for the gui at all ... of course, it's faster to write and easier to
maintain, but it's usually much slower than plain c ...

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs