[PD-dev] I have 3 broken installs [was: Re: double precision Pd: .patch files, tests and benchmarks]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Oct 6 18:51:41 CEST 2011

On Oct 6, 2011, at 12:19 PM, András Murányi wrote:

>>> Do you have access to an ARM
>>> machine?  If not, I could probably get one online with ssh access,
>>> if that's
>>> useful.
>>>
>>> I've mailed Joe White with the question if he can patch the code for
>>> libpd and check performance on ARM. He has done some extremely
>>> popular
>>> RjDj apps and needed to optimize for them as well. Think it would be
>>> good anyway to keep in touch with libpd users and app programmers
>>> about this topic, even though we're in an early stage with it.
>>>

>>> Yes definitely, we should let everyone who wants to be get
>>> involved.  I am just saying with need a development platform to
>>> start with.  Once that's nailed down, we can deal with more
>>> issues, like porting to libpd, dealing with externals that could
>>> be either 32-bit or 64-bit, etc.
>>>
>>> I setup a nightly build on the macosx106-x86_64 and called it pd-
>>> double.  Andras and r33p, if you are listening, could you run this
>>> build on your 64-bit boxes also?  All you need to do is:
>>>
>>> ~pd/auto-build
>>> cp -a pd-extended pd-double
>>>

>>> Listening now.
>>> I did:
>>> $ cd ~pd/auto-build
>>> $ sudo cp -a pd-extended pd-double
>>> What's next? Shall I try patching or rather pull IOhannes's
>>> sources?
>>

>> If you have the run-automated-builder script in a cron job, that is
>> all you have to do.
>>
>> .hc
>>

>> Ah, so tomorrow a single and double precision build will
>> automatically be made? Cool.
>>
>> Also, as I was busy with my life (buying a flat) these days, and I
>> couldn't follow the list as precisely as I wished, could you advise
>> me what's the current best way to roll my own double precision pd?
>> Because I would like to benchmark a fully optimised one.
>

> That would great to have those numbers. [...]
>
> Aaargh. I've arrived to the point where I have almost no functional
> pd on my box (with the exception of l2ork).
> vanilla says: "bash: /usr/bin/pd: No such file or directory" (i
> remember this is a known issue... for 64bit? can it be fixed by any
> chance?)
> extended (latest autobuild), and the fresh-built double keep on
> saying "watchdog: signaling pd..."
> What did I mess up? Will complete removals/reinstalls help?

You can always 'apt-get install puredata' , you can even get
'puredata' 0.43.0 for Ubuntu/Lucid from my PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~eighthave/+archive/pure-data

Then you can get the pd-extended 0.42.5 release.  As for nightlies and
other test builds, you can use dpkg -x to extract them anywhere, and
them in place.