[PD-dev] libpd partly working with pd instances

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Thu May 22 08:59:17 CEST 2014

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 6:23 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> On 05/16/2014 07:34 AM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> > I think that would work (if Pd was compiled with the "thread lock"
> enabled)
> > but the two wouldn't be able to run simultaneously;
>
> the problem is, that if someone made Pd into a (e.g.) VST-plugin (and
> judging from the responses to your announcement mail, a lot of people
> definitely would like that to happen), then you cannot make any
> assumptions about how the host will deal with multiple instances of that
> plugin. the host may choose to run all it's plugins in parallel :-(

But for now, if you want to make a Pd wrapper VST plugin, you can just put
locks around all
pd calls. I think this first step is a good one. I'm not convinced it's
necessary to
do the next step, but let's see how this works first. At least it's nice to
be able to send
and receive pd messages between instances easily. If you really want to run
things in parallel, you can always just run Pd in a new process, which is
much safer too.