[PD-dev] building fluid~ on Linux (was: [PD] fluid~ for Pd-Vanilla - test version)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 12:38:40 CET 2021

On Sun, 2021-01-10 at 18:51 -0300, Lucas Cordiviola wrote:
> On 1/10/2021 6:06 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> >  From what I understand, the
> > [fluidsynth~] external doesn't make use of this stuff, so there is
> > no
> > point in bloating the library and the number of dependencies
> > unnecessarily.
>
> We have and older Windows build system (which is more straight
> forward
> and can also be cross-compiled, not based on the msys2 pkg). This
> build
> does not use FLAC/Vorbis/OGG binaries. It just use libsndfile.

Hm, my understanding is that libsndfile doesn't do decoding of
vorbis/flac files on its own, but uses libvorbis/libFLAC for that. I'd
be surprised if there is absolutely no libvorbis/libFLAC involved.

>  We should
> re-consider if building with the bloated msys2 pkg is needed

Can't tell what is better for Windows.

> We should do some testing with compressed sf3 files. (I only tested
> the
> "hedOrgan-Soundfont-sf3.zip" and it works on both types of builds)

Yes. I haven't even checked what type of compression it uses (if at
all).

Roman