[PD-dev] tilde object rework ideas

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 11:38:17 CEST 2022

Howdy Miller,

Multi-channel will be very useful, especially in the context of some of the sound spatialization work we have used libpd for at ZKM. A good idea from Ableton/Max which we can profit from as well. :)

I agree with the naming suggestion from IOhannes.

The CoreAudio API also uses "frames" in it's AudioStreamBasicDescription struct: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/coreaudiotypes/audiostreambasicdescription <https://developer.apple.com/documentation/coreaudiotypes/audiostreambasicdescription>

I don't mention CoreAudio to say we should slavishly copy it, but I find the API pretty well designed in abstraction and naming. I think "s_frames" would be equivalent to "mBytesPerFrame".

> On Sep 2, 2022, at 9:36 AM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> apart from that:
> probably "s_length" might be called "s_frames" as this seems to be the
> less ambiguous term.
>
> and i would personally prefer "s_samplerate" and "s_channels".
> that would make for an easy distinction: the abbreviated names "s_n" and
> "s_sr" are the convoluted ones, whereas the long names have the data
> you'd expect.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>