[PD-dev] tilde object rework ideas

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Sep 3 21:56:12 CEST 2022

(re-sending to the list)

Am 2. September 2022 20:12:54 MESZ schrieb Miller Puckette via Pd-dev
<pd-dev at lists.iem.at>:
>Yep, s_nframes is best.
>
>To Iohannes's point (s_n, s_nframes, and s_channels are redundant) , s_n needs
>to be kept in the struct, and
>
>then we could either have s_nframes, or s_nchannels,
>
>in which case you'd get the other one by dividing.?? I have a deep horror of
>integer division

Fair enough.

Note, that Christof's suggestion of s_n being the number of samples per
channel (that is: it's what I suggested as s_nframes) does not require
any division: we know the sample frames (s_n) and the number of channels
(s_nchannels) and getting the total number of samples is a simple
multiplication.

Given the issues pointed by Christof, this is probably the simplest
solution.

>Meanwhile, I'm going to propose that we not bother (yet) with automatically
>vectorizing stuff like filters,

But of course, in order for christof's suggestion to work, the data
ought to be "planar" (samples for the 2nd channel come after all the
samples  for the 1st channel.

But for SIMD to be fun, data should be interleaved...

mfg.sfg.jfd
IOhannes