[PD-dev] release pd 0.52 update?

Thomas Mayer thomas at residuum.org
Sun Oct 16 15:09:52 CEST 2022

Hello,

On 15.10.22 22:00, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> imho, a "bugfix release" is a promise to the user that says "nothing has
> changed with respect to the previous release, except we fixed these
> annoying bugs".
> so i worry not about "features" but about "anything not a bugfix".
>
> and with 0.52-3, plenty of things have changed (and a few annoying bugs
> have been fixed as well).
> ~70 C-files have been modified, and 3 header files have been modified
> (suggesting additions to the API)
>
> so i just fail to understand why we can't just call it "0.53-0", as this
> clearly is beyond a "bugfix" release.

I fully agree with IOhannes. Someone may need a bugfix for their concert
next week and they are positively surprised by getting this bugfix just
in time, while being negatively surprised by the regression during their
performance. Signalling big changes by version number is a good thing.

Not every user read the release info or changelog, as to most this is
unintelligable gibberish (What exactly does "rework of GUI code" mean to
an end user?)

Just my 0,02€,
Thomas
--
"Prisons are needed only to provide the illusion that courts and police
are effective. They're a kind of job insurance."