[PD-dev] release pd 0.52 update?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Oct 15 22:00:49 CEST 2022

Am 14. Oktober 2022 18:13:00 MESZ schrieb Alexandre Torres Porres
<porres at gmail.com>:
>Em sex., 14 de out. de 2022 às 12:12, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
>escreveu:
>
>> Am 14. Oktober 2022 15:32:42 MESZ schrieb Antoine Rousseau <
>> antoine at metalu.net>:
>> >has been made obsolete by the
>> >recent rework of the interface to GUI
>>
>> Speaking of which: I think a bugfix release 0.52.3 should probably *not*
>> contain the "rework of the interface to GUI", which is a rather big
>> change...
>>

>Why not? We're talking about things that had already been merged before,

So what?

i'm not really sure i understand what you mean exactly with "have been
merged before".
the fact that the PRs have already been merged into master?
how is that related to "bugfix release"?

>right? It seems to me most changes are "under the hood" and not proper new
>features.

And all of them include regressions.

imho, a "bugfix release" is a promise to the user that says "nothing has
changed with respect to the previous release, except we fixed these
annoying bugs".
so i worry not about "features" but about "anything not a bugfix".

and with 0.52-3, plenty of things have changed (and a few annoying bugs
have been fixed as well).
~70 C-files have been modified, and 3 header files have been modified
(suggesting additions to the API)

so i just fail to understand why we can't just call it "0.53-0", as this
clearly is beyond a "bugfix" release.

i'm probably highly influenced by semantic versioning [1], which is
targetting versioning for libraries (API/ABI compatibility) rather than
applications, but i think the model is so great that it can be applied
to any software (that is not released very frequently).

in any case: i'm not the one who is deciding on the versioning.

gfmdsa
IOhannes

[1] https://semver.org/