[PD-dev] release time?

Antoine Rousseau antoine at metalu.net
Tue Nov 29 17:23:52 CET 2022

> we should retire the public iemgui API

does this mean that mknob (or iemgui library) would have to be entirely
rewritten, by copying/adapting the entire iemgui API to mkob source tree?

not caring about ABI breakage

the ABI compatibility is already broken IIUC ;-)

GUI objects aren't that common for Pd, unfortunately

obviously... there would be many more with a better (and more stable...)
GUI system. We all feel that we need to move forward.
@IOhannes is it for this reason that you want to retract the iemgui API? To
have freer hands when modifying the GUI code?

I totally understand this reason; however, maybe we can wait here, since
it's unlikely that someone starts a new GUI project on the current
codebase, before we switch to a better system...
I wouldn't want to have to rewrite the mknob, which would be needed by
someone (not me actually...) who would need Pd 0.54 at the same time....
We could simply discourage new developers from using the API, maybe
signaling it's about to be deprecated.

Antoine