[PD-dev] problem loading tcl tk plugin with binary

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun May 14 21:11:14 CEST 2023

On 5/14/23 15:46, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Em sáb., 13 de mai. de 2023 às 17:27, Alexandre Torres Porres <
> porres at gmail.com> escreveu:
>
>> It seems the issue is a bit more bizarre and Pd just can't see this file
>> at startup somehow.
>>

> no, not that really. It seems the issue is simply what it says "*invalid
> command name ".popup"*"
>
> which doesn't really work at startup but works later or in my other
> partition with another OS or my other machine with the same OS

presumably because there is no .popup created yet.
if you experience this "bizarre" behaviour on exactly the same version
of Pd across multiple systems, then you are apparently running into some
race condition.
(after all: there are two separate applications starting up: Pd-core and
Pd-GUI. issuing a command in your external's setup-function will send
out a Tcl-command *very* early in the process (at least if you are
initialized yet)

note however, that up to Pd-0.53, Pd created a single global .popup menu
(for the right-click context menu). as of Pd-0.54 (that is: current git
'master'), this global .popup menu no longer exists (in order to fix
[1303], and you obviously cannot use it.

gfmsa
IOhannes

[1303] https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/issues/1303