[PD-dev] problem loading tcl tk plugin with binary

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon May 15 18:35:54 CEST 2023

Em seg., 15 de mai. de 2023 às 05:08, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> not sure what you mean here, but the nature of race-conditions is that
> they are hard to reproduce (across systems).
> a race condition might happen on one system (reproducibly), and not show
> up on another system at all.

yup, on the same computer, it happens on mojave but not on monterey... on
another older computer it loads on mojave.

> what would "not be an issue"?

this whole problem of not being able to load this particular plugin with
the newer structure.

> with Pd-0.54 the ".popup" will not be created any more at all, so if
> your code depends on such an item, it will fail.

sure, it would need to be adapted, just like the PR to add an object
browser to Vanilla has been adapted. For reference, see
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/1917

> otoh, Pd-0.54 will replace the ".popup" with a window-specific
> "${win}.popup". this window-specific item will not be created until the
> window is created, so if your code depends on such an item to exist at
> startup time, it is likely to fail as well.

The only usage of 'popup' in #1917 is in the bottom with "*trace add
execution ::pdtk_canvas::create_popup leave category_menu::create*"

And I just tested loading this file against the current master. No issue
solves the issue, right? Please confirm.

> > I can wait though, no problem. For now I'll just tell people to add
> else's
> > folder to the search path in preferences-->path and I can name the .tcl
> > file in order to load it as a tcl plugin like others.
> >

> ideally https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/1766 would be
> applied, in which case you just have to put an "else-plugin.tcl" into
> your "else" folder and it will be loaded automatically.

That will be indeed great, sure, but in the meantime I'll change the way to
load this thing and wait for 0.54-0 to update the library to load this
plugin without any issues and in a more convenient way.

Thanks