[PD-dev] problem loading tcl tk plugin with binary

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 15 10:08:00 CEST 2023

On 5/15/23 06:15, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Em dom., 14 de mai. de 2023 às 16:12, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> escreveu:
>
>> presumably because there is no .popup created yet. if you experience this
>> "bizarre"
>
> behaviour on exactly the same version of Pd across multiple systems
>

>   just in one system and in one computer

not sur ewhat you mean here, but the nature of race-conditions is that
they are hard to reproduce (across systems).
a race condition might happen on one system (reproducibly), and not show
up on another system at all.

> So, I'm not sure I get it but I'm assuming this won't be an issue in the
> next version, right? Please confirm.

what would "not be an issue"?
with Pd-0.54 the ".popup" will not be created any more at all, so if
your code depends on such an item, it will fail.
otoh, Pd-0.54 will replace the ".popup" with a window-specific
"${win}.popup". this window-specific item will not be created until the
window is created, so if your code depends on such an item to exist at
startup time, it is likely to fail as well.

> I can wait though, no problem. For now I'll just tell people to add else's
> folder to the search path in preferences-->path and I can name the .tcl
> file in order to load it as a tcl plugin like others.

ideally https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/1766 would be
applied, in which case you just have to put an "else-plugin.tcl" into
your "else" folder and it will be loaded automatically.

this will seamlessly integrate with your proposal (telling people to add
the "else" folder to the path-preferences): it will just start to work
automatically (for those who did not follow your instructions) whenever
the PR is accepted.

in any case, please make sure that things keep working even if the
GUI-plugin is not loaded (with degraded functionality obviously).

gmfsadr
IOhannes