[PD-dev] why must one never send a message from a perform routine ?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 17:20:34 CEST 2023

Joseph: Do not be embarrassed. Understanding the engine is relatively opaque IMO and info is scattered in different places.

Christof: IMO these kinds of important details should really by in m_pd.h. The API is pretty stable at this point, so it would pay to fill out the header. This was my approach with libpd:

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/src/z_libpd.h

We originally had docs for libpd on a wiki page but once things stabilized I did the painful, but IMO necessary, step to move it into minimal header documentation. This also made it trivial to include basic docs when libpd was integrated into the pure-data repo.

> On Aug 23, 2023, at 5:05 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 17:04:41 +0200
> From: Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com <mailto:info at christofressi.com>>
> To: pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] why must one never send a message from a perform
> 	routine ?
>
> Glad that I could help! Very little of this is really documented
> (accurately). Personally, I figured this out by reading the source code.
>
> Ideally, we should improve the official documentation in
> http://msp.ucsd.edu/Pd_documentation/x3.htm#s1.0. Some things are
> outdated, misleading or just plain wrong (in particular the section
> "audio buffer size and block size"). I just put this on my
> (ever-growing) TODO list.
>
> Christof

--------
Dan Wilcox