[PD-dev] release April?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 13:46:36 CET 2024

My 2 cents: baby, bathwater.

The IME GUIs may not be *perfect* but they, so far, have been *good enough*. I am always fearful of trying to design & implement the "one *whatever* to rule them all" as making something too generic ends up being more complicated then the simplest approach, with some amount of code sharing to avoid redundancy. (That being said, I am only reacting and maybe you have something in mind which deals with this.)

I think we can consider ways to overhaul the existing ones for sure.

For instance, I have a balanced approach to implementing the GUIs in Pdparty using Apple frameworks using single-inheritance OO:

https://github.com/danomatika/PdParty/tree/master/src/gui

There is a Widget class which everything else inherits from. Then shared code within IEMWidget class which Bang, Slider, etc use.

I don't think this is far off from the recent refactors in the IEM widget code base over the last years.

> On Mar 15, 2024, at 12:00 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 14:36:50 +0100
> From: Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com <mailto:info at christofressi.com>>
> To: pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-dev at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] release April?
>
>> Anyway, I've been holding off on introducing yet one more ad-hoc GUI
>> device until I (or someone :) can make a properly unified GUI for
>> numerical controls.
> Is this realistic? And does it really warrant withholding a proper knob
> UI for another couple of years (or even forever)?
>
> A knob would not prevent a "unified numerical control" in the future.
> Yes, it would be one more legacy object to deal with, but does it really
> matter at this point? It's not like we're constantly adding new UI
> elements. The last time was probably 20 years ago :) I guess if Thomas
> Musil made one back in the day, we would have it anyway.
>
> A more general question: what would the advantage of such a "unified"
> GUI object, in particular for the user? I guess the idea is that you can
> easily turn any numeric GUI element into another?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christof

--------
Dan Wilcox