[PD] using other s/w with pd

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Sun Sep 29 12:03:08 CEST 2002

Hi,
MLN Kazem, Aerospace Engineering hat gesagt: // MLN Kazem, Aerospace Engineering wrote:

> thanks again for the reply but I'm not quite sure why this is not
> possible. Please correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it Pd
> uses portaudio in order to communicate with the windows drivers - which
> either support ASIO or DirectSound. Having looked at the code for the
> DirectSound release of portaudio, I recognise the directsound interface
> code for creating the primary and secondary buffer objects etc. - could
> I not intercept the code at this point implementing other C/C++
> interfaces to further process the secondary buffers before they are
> sent to the primary?

Although I am not very familiar with the inner workings of PD nor with
W32-programming, I think, this must be possible. I think so, because
on Linux, there already is a similar solution for PD with the JACK
interface. JACK is a sound architecture, where you can connect the
output of one programm with the input of another software.

> I think I cannot use ReWire as I am from a university and therefore
> presumably am not allowed a license (according to the website).

Don't universities use Linux anymore? :)

> Also which part of the source refers to making the connection to the
> tcl/tk application?

t_tkcmd.c, and maybe s_inter.c, I think.

ciao