[ot] website tools [was: Re: Re[2]: [PD] pure-data.org]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue May 13 19:31:05 CEST 2003

Hallo,
David Casal hat gesagt: // David Casal wrote:

> Yes, most are. Cocoon is no different, but is the fastest and most mature
> of them. It is being used in severe load-balancing situations (a couple of
> swiss banks, vodafone, etc.). Personally, because I've seen it work like
> that, I believe it would do the job provided there were people willing to
> learn it, etc. However, a Python portal solution seems quicker, easier in
> the short term and more inclusive.
>
> For documentation, however, I have yet to see anything as comprehensive as
> Forrest. For example, it has TODO and FAQ DTD's, and generates printable
> and PDF docs from simple XML, which anyone would be able to
> author/contribute. As simple as that.
>
> Just my 2p. I would be willing to help with a Python portal solution
> (since Python is my bag and I'd like to get into its web-publishing
> pants)

You really should take a look into Webware then (webware.sf.net). It
doesn't always have to be Zope. Webware is very lightweight compared
to Zope and is written with a strong focus on doing things "the Python
way" while I see Zope often doing things "the Zope way", whatever
that is. Webware has a great share of Java converts on board.

But I don't want to push things for a pure-data.org 2.0 in a certain
direction. I just won't be of much help with the technical side, if
the future CMS is PHP, because I don't have time to learn another
language (that currently is useless inside Pd).

So if enough people are found for a PHP solution, that's absoluetly
fine with me. I'd probably prefer Zope but with Zope or Webware, we
might run into problems finding a decent ISP.

ciao