[PD] GEM versions

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sat Jul 12 18:02:40 CEST 2003

>funny you should mention a chroma key  because keying has been on my mind.
>Just started using zmatte for post work.. RTalpha subtraction and
>convolution as you mentioned will be a wonderful tool as well. what i would
>love to see is the ability for GEM to read different file types like .flt,
>.iv, .pfb etc.. and have be able to tweak those inside a gemwin...

zmatte and the other keying tools in a package like shake are great
tools for professional post - the keying in GEM isn't quite that
caliber however.  the thing about real-time software is that the
processing has to happen in order and within a strict schedule, which
is not the same as post workflows.  i'll look into those formats but
don't hold your breath. ;)

>and of course a way to dump out to .mov or .mpg or avi is a must at some
>point

you can actually save image sequences on OSX using pix_write now.  it
uses Quicktime's GraphicExporter so by saving the sequence to a
folder you can open the first image using 'Open Image Sequence' and
it will assemble a QT .mov.  Right now the only option is photo-jpeg
set to high quality, but i can add any of the oterh supported QT
image formats like .tiff .sgi .png and so on.  let me know what you
need.

oh and the pix_record object is on the list, the thing holding it up
is cross-platform requirements and me sitting down and pounding out
the object (that QT book is around here somewhere....)

cgc