[PD] how should i license patches i release?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Aug 14 08:30:27 CEST 2003

Hallo,
e skogen hat gesagt: // e skogen wrote:

> i am considering the release of a simple patch framework that i think
> may benefit others as a starting point for a more complex performance
> patch. i want to make it available to anyone, but i don't want someone
> who uses this patch as a starting point to re-release it for profit in
> some binary form without distributing their patch as well.

That's exactly what the GPL is for (among others). While most BSD
style allow people to sell the free software in unfree ways (binary
only) the GPL does not allow this. If someone sells, (s)he must give
the source and all the rights he was given as well. I tend to use the
GPL for just everything.

ciao