[PD] PdPod (pure data on ipodlinux) - Is anybody else experimenting with it?

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Wed Jan 11 00:26:03 CET 2006

Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Cesare Marilungo wrote:
>
>> If you're interested I wrote a post on my blog:
>>
>> http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/blog/2006/01/08/pdpod-pure-data-on-the-ipod-or-generative-music-on-the-go/
>>
>> Or you can visit the wiki page on ipodlinux.org:
>>
>> http://ipodlinux.org/PdPod
>>
>> I would really like to get in touch with people interested in this hack.
>

> This is very exciting stuff!
>
> Is there a document that tells how to port existing generative patches
> to PdPod?  I seem to recall PDa has some differences from Pd, like
> table indexing / range of numbers / etc, but I don't know the details.
>
> How powerful are the various iPods?  I don't own an iPod, so wouldn't
> be able to test my patches.  Is there an iPod emulator (that runs at
> the same speed as a real iPod)?  Better yet, is there an iPod emulator
> that comes with PdPod preinstalled?
>

> Claude

Thank you to those who answered so far.

Claude, I've just started experimenting with this project. Recently, I
compiled PDa for my linux box. You have to use PDa instead of the
standard pure data to create patches for pdpod for the reasons you've
pointed out. Apart from some limitations, there are also some difference
in the way PDa handle samples.

And unortunately two of the four examples that Martin Kaltenbrunner made
aren't working on my ipod mini. Martin promised me to check them when he
will have time.

I don't believe there's an iPod hardware emulator. You can compile
podzilla on plain gnu/Linux and test stuff into it. But there's no need
for this since you can build and test patches on PDa. The only think you
can't tell is if an iPod would have enough processing power to run a
partucular patch.

c.
www.cesaremarilungo.com