[PD] PDDP meeting?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sat May 6 14:56:48 CEST 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 11:35:44PM +0200, Tim Blechmann wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 16:34 -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > > that maybe the original intention of the Pd language isn't to be a
> > fully
> > > fledged programming language, but instead an artist's tool with some
> > > dataflow programming-like features.
>
> well, especially being an artistic tool, it shouldn't require the user
> to learn 1001 workarounds for trivial problems, nor should the user have
> to worry about obscure message vs. list problems ...

True. It guess you'd hope that it would be as easy as possible to make
art with such a tool.

> > I'm always talking about what Pd could become and all I get answered
> > is
> > what Pd was meant to be.
>
> i'm not sure, if anyone can say, what pd is meant to be ... but matju is
> right about one thing ... pd can't be improved, when everyone ignores
> it's weaknesses ("you don't want to load soundfiles clickfree", "you
> don't need to use tables on the x86_64 architecture") ...

I am not against making Pd better. I am not against talking about what
features would be good in Pd. I am not against someone forking Pd and
making something amazing and new and wonderful. I am not against somebody
cloning all the ideas in Pd and making something which is a generic
dataflow programming environment with all the bells and whilstles of a
fully fledged programming language. That is all excellent - more great
free software for all of us.

The thing I find tiresome is people's attitude and disrespect towards
other developers when they find what they see as flaws in Pd. That is
probably all in my head since nobody else seems to see it, and anyway,
I'm not a developer so I should let others continue with their opinions
and hostile attitudes, and leave it alone and just go back to making
weird sounds with computers.

Apologies for the disturbance. Nothing to see, move along.

Best regards,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx