[PD] hidio bug?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jul 25 19:45:15 CEST 2007

Ah yes, this is an annoyance with many USB HIDs that output relative
data.  The data they output is in effect speed, but they don't output
zero.  What those devices are actually outputting is the amount of
change in pixels since the last measurement of location.  If there is
no change, they output nothing.  So you don't get a zero.

Personally, I think this is a bad design, and makes them hard to work
with if you are doing something other than moving a cursor around on
a screen.  (I suppose it makes things a bit more efficient for moving
a mouse cursor around on a screen).

I dealt with this problem by using a delay to output a 0 when the
stream of data has stopped for a 10 ms or so.  Check the attached patch:

.hc

----

scarcity."        -John Gilmore