[PD] DIO errors with freebob

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 14:02:12 CET 2007

hi

i am getting quite a lot of DIO errors and clicks using PD with jack via
freebob. This does not happen using the internal sndcard with alsa, i
sometimes got some click but not all the time like i do now. Btw, i dont
get xruns at all from jack.

I have installed pd 0.40.3-extended-20071210 to see if this makes any
difference but it is the same. I checked the mailing list and there are
some posts about similar issues
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2005-07/029859.html
but I did not get a clear picture since i am using freebob. I know its
likely to be the PD GUI taking too much CPU. I need to be able to use
both pd input and output so i cannot stop any of those.

I am using a terratec phase x24 on Ubuntu Studio Gutsy with kernel
2.6.20-16-lowlatency on a IBM x34 laptop 1.6ghz, 500M of ram. The same
set up under Puredyne does work great, no clicks at all. I am wondering
what is the difference. CPU-wise both seem pretty much the same and the
PD version is pretty similar, around 0.40.3. I am always curious about
the reasons of this small differences between similar systems...

any ideas? thanks

enrike