[PD] show "used or free system memoy" from within pd-extended (Ubuntu 8.04) -nogui - is this possible?

Ingo Scherzinger ingo at miamiwave.com
Fri Feb 27 13:49:09 CET 2009

Thank you IOhannes,

> > pd-extended (Ubuntu 8.04) -nogui.
> >> [shell]
> >
> > I know I can use [shell] to communicate but I cannot find a command line
> for
> > it. So the command is what I actually need.
>
> ah i see.
> check the contents of /proc/meminfo
>
> something like:
> % cat /proc/meminfo | egrep "^MemFree:" | awk '{print $2}'
> should do the trick
> (note that [shell] is not so good with such things; put the above (or
> better) command in a shellscript which you run using [shell])

I tried this. But as you mentioned without a script it doesn't work because
pd doesn't seem to accept the "{" and "}" characters.

However by further searching the net I just found very simple command that
works with [shell] "free". I don't know why this is not documented in my
linux command book?

> > You are probably right about that. However my system freezes in such a
> case
> > - no matter whether it's caused by pd or linux.
>
> i do not doubt that.
> but why did you blame Pd then? it doesn't really matter whether it's
> caused by Obama or by linux either....

You're absolutely right about that.
  ... it's just that I'm running pd when it happens! :(

Ingo