[PD] [GEM-dev] (GEM) color invasion

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Nov 30 14:45:31 CET 2009

Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> Is it that [separator] only separates certain things and does not
> separate others? If so, where can I find a list (or a rule) that tells
> me what it separates and what not?

it saves the texture, modelview and color matrix stack (the latter
obviously not being the "color").
i wonder why it's not saving the projection matrix stack as well.

> You may suggest that I can create separate [gemhead]s, but if I want the
> resulting scene( to be rendered into a texture all chains must be
> "children" of a single [gemframebuffer] and so of a single [gemhead] and
> I can only "separate" them with [separator]s.
>
> So up to now my only solution is to put a [color 1 1 1] on every object
> that I don't want to be coloured, but that's a bit unhandy....

well.
i suggest to create a wee little abstraction "myseparator", which looks
like:

[inlet]

[separator]

[pix_separator]

[color 1 1 1]

[outlet]

not so unhandy :-)

the reason why the color is not stored and restored is simply performance.
it's way faster to just set the color again than query it from the
current openGL state (and color is a vertex based attribute; but this is
really getting internal)

gfamdsr
IOhannes