[PD] Guitar distortion (Chebyshev?)

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Sun Sep 12 16:59:13 CEST 2010

On 12/09/10 15:31, Pierre Massat wrote:
> I m not sure whether this is the right way of dealing with guitar
> distortion.

I don't think there's a right way - judge by your ears, if you like it
then that way is good for you at that particular moment in time.
Personally when I want distortion I use various (frequency-) filters and
expr~ to waveshape, but my input is generally synthetic.

Miller's "patch for guitar" has an interesting waveshaping technique you
could borrow: essentially it involves separating a sinusoid into
separate phase/amplitude information, and waveshaping from the phase
before recombining with the amplitude.  Tihs could probably be extended
to a 2D wavetable with a [tabread16~] or something similar.  Results
without a separate pickup for each string (necessary to get close to a
single-frequency sinusoid) will probably be very strange.

http://www-crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/smeck/latest/doc/index.htm

Another thing to consider is aliasing: I read somewhere (and I hope I'm
not repeating untruths) that you need to oversample by a factor of N if
you waveshape by a polynomial of degree N (eg a cubic would need 3x
oversampling to avoid aliasing).

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org