[PD] ye olde video/audio question

august august at alien.mur.at
Wed Nov 10 22:34:34 CET 2010

> hi together,
>
> i want to use pd on linux with a small fit-pc2 (atom 1,1GHz, Intel GMA500) [1] and an arduino to create a kind of solid state video player for common videos. so far i managed the serial communication part on osx and now here comes the player.
>
> i did some reading in the list archives about synching video to its audio. since i am fairly new to pd, simply trying this out myself would take a lot of time i dont have (i have two weeks to get this done), thats why i am asking before doing it:
>
> is it realistic to program a patch that will play different videos/pictures (one at a time) with their audio in sync upon a keystroke
>  -in that time?
>  -on that machine?
> the higher the resolution of the video, the better...
>
> or should i better do some other time and settle for another (proprietary) solution?
>
> greetz
> ff

ff,

	AFAIK, you can play video files with AV in sync, but the audio is not
	routed through PD itself, but is sent to the audio device via alsa.
	I forget which object does this. Somebody please  correct me if I am
	wrong here.

	But, what you want to do would probably be better using mplayer.  You
	can open mplayer on a pipe and then send commands to it through
	stdin.  If pd is how you get signals from the serial connection, you
	could either send OSC commands to another program that is controlling
	mplayer, or use pdpy or pdlua to open the pipe to mplayer and
	control everything from pd internally.

	best -august.