[PD] Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots of new editing features

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 04:45:28 CEST 2011

--- On Thu, 7/14/11, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots of new editing features
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Martin Peach" <martin.peach at sympatico.ca>, "pd-list" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Date: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 3:51 AM
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Jonathan Wilkes
> wrote:
>
> > Well in that case, I don't see any need whatsoever for
> an "assist" method.  Just have pd lookup the methods
> and display them.  If one needs more information than
> that, the help patch is just two clicks away.
>
> That'll be great for learning GridFlow, as all it'll ever
> say is :
>
>   anything

I'm not doing it that way.  I'm looking up the xlet info in the help patch in [pd META] when the xlet is created, then putting the relevant text as an argument to the command that gets "bind"ed to the xlet tag's <Enter> and <Leave> events.

> because GridFlow has its own method-lookup system. That's
> one example of what an assist-method slot could help with.
> This is also usually the way that methods are registered in
> pd bindings for lua, tcl, and probably several more.

Better to just add a few lines of tcl to gather the relevant info from your help docs.

> Another totally different example is what you're supposed
> to do to hide kludges like the bunch of methods registered
> under the name "ft1" that exist because pd's internals make
> it easier to that than to have non-first inlets act
> independently of first-inlets.

I can't remember whether I put those in the [pd META] stuff-- but I don't think I did.