[PD] [expr] license issue (update)

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Sat Dec 3 23:06:36 CET 2011

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 02:35:26PM -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> I don't think anyone claims copyright on correcting a small typo, for
> example.

There are all kinds of crazy people in the world who claim things they don't
have the right to, but to pursue the matter ad absurdum, any lawsuit over a
small typo is going to be thrown out for failing a de minimis test.

Nevertheless, I understand wanting to err on the side of safety.  Politics and
courtesy probably play a larger role here than actual legal concerns.  And I
certainly agree with Jonathan that IANAL.  :)

> Marvin said something about implicitly giving up copyright, in the
> previous big thread about licenses (in sep+oct).

I must have said something about granting implicit license under the license
of the project when you provide a patch, which is definitely not the same
thing as implicitly giving up copyright.

Marvin Humphrey