[PD] [OT] Latency?

J Oliver jaime.oliver2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 17:23:15 CEST 2012

> > 10ms is around the human-ear latency, so anything at that level or below
> > should be good enough for guitar/drumming

Hi all,

I did some research on this some time ago.

You could check:

The perception of cross-modal simultaneity
by DJ Levitin, 2000

and

Musical Effects of Latency
by Mäki-Patola (as well as some of his other papers on latency)
http://www.jyu.fi/musica/symposium/symposiumin_satoa_2005.pdf#page=83

There are of course many forms of latency, inter-aural (< 5ms), visual to aural, action to aural and so on. Actual numbers in milliseconds are generally obtained in laboratory conditions and are hard to apply in real-world cases.

Different behaviors (or mappings if you like the term) have different perceived latencies. Furthermore, a quiet note in a piano can have a latency of 130ms (from when the key is first depressed until there is sound I believe) and we get away with it.

The most important aspect of the levitin paper is that we have anticipatory mechanisms to compensate for latency. That being said, I've been playing live with Pd latencies (15ms+) for a while and have learnt to live with it and forget about them most of the time (there are limits of course...).

best,

Jaime Oliver
www.jaimeoliver.pe
jo2357 at columbia.edu