[PD] Benefits of using an external soundcard?

Mario Mey mariomey at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 04:37:25 CEST 2013

Brian: I comment between lines:

El 09/08/13 09:42, Brian Fay escribió:
> Is there a specific type of microphone you will be using? I've seen
> some videos of Beardyman recently using some type of hands-free
> lavalier microphone.
I will use my wireless VHF SHURE microphone (I know it is old). The
original is a headset, but, for beatbox, I use a SM-58 connected to the
same trasnmisor. It sounds different, so, the SM-58 jack has a resistor
to turn the gain down and an EQ in PureData, to make it sound like the
other.

I don't know if I will use the headset (as Beardyman) or the SM-58. It
is about comfort.

> This and other condenser microphones require "Phantom Power," which is
> provided by many audio interfaces and mixers but generally not built
> in to an internal soundcard.
It doesn't need phantom power.

> See how far you can get with what you have; there's no point in buying
> something that you don't need. But you might find that you do need one
> eventually.
I will buy the cheap soundcard (ARS $200). I understand what you say,
but it has some benefits:

- I care the notebook audio-out jack. USB is more resistent for pluging
and unpluging. I (this) summer, I work in a park and I do what this
video shows, EVERYNIGHT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNUZULR7k18
- I have more inputs and outputs (for future features).
- Maybe, I avoid noise in the line (for the moment, I don't have it...
but I think it depends on the power line of the location).
- Sometimes, I do record some samples... it will be usefull for that.

> Keep in mind that you'll need very low latency (less than 20
> miliseconds) for your application. I'm not sure if this is affected by
> the sound card or not. All of the audio processing happens on the CPU,
> but maybe the buffering stages for the sound card add enough delay to
> add latency... could somebody  with more familiarity chime in here?
For now, I have 5.8ms of latency. It's very good for me. If you are
saying that an external soundcard would add latency... more than the
internal, so, it is not good!

Thanks.