[PD] locality with new [field] object (Jonathan Wilkes)

jamal crawford threen52 at ml1.net
Mon Sep 7 19:24:43 CEST 2015

hey Jonathan

thx for the screencast!

> Here's a rudimentary screencast:
> http://pdblog.nfshost.com/fielddemo.webm
oh yeah! that looks indeed really handy and cute :). then i guess such a
circle can have (animated) inlets/outlets and "modulate" other guis and
so on... nice

cheers

      wrote:
>> oh nice :) im looking forward to this

    Here's a rudimentary screencast:
> http://pdblog.nfshost.com/fielddemo.webm

    I start with a little abstraction named "b.pd".  It just polls an
    [osc~] which is scaled and offset by some amount to compute

    a value for the [field radius].  In a toplevel patch, setting the
    [field] does nothing.

    However, when I create the struct with the "canvas a b" definition,
    it tells Pd to load up the contents of "b.pd" into memory.  And when
    I create the scalar "foo", I also get a canvas "b.pd" associated
    with that scalar.

    Now when I set the [field radius] in that abstraction, it updates
    the "radius" field for that scalar.  The "radius" field also happens
    to be used as a parameter to [draw circle].  That means when the
    "radius" changes it animates the circle's radius.

    As I make copies of the scalar you can see why this interface is so
    powerful-- each scalar has its own [osc~] controlling the animation
    at a frequency independent of the others.  You can also get each one
    to [throw~] a signal to a bus for sound, but I didn't do audio with
    this screencast.

    None of this is particularly efficient.  But conceptually it's much
    easier to deal with than juggling gpointers.  Also, once you start
    sending a lot of animation data to the gui, sys_queugui filters out
    redundant messages.

    -Jonathan