[PD] "G05.execution.order" issue (bug? just wrong?)

Joe White white.joe4 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 11:52:55 CEST 2015

> > It might be a bit misleading to call this behaviour 'undefined'.
> why?

a) for the reasons pointed out previously
b) by virtue of the fact that Alexandre is questioning it (and I would
agree with him)

But how is it "undefined behaviour"? For trigger, for example, I understand
> the order of connections will define the order of messages being sent,
> right? I mean, every time I've tested it, it worked. But is it at some
> level really "undefined" and might not work?

c) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undefined_behavior
d) I'm being pedantic

 what *is* the Pd language then?
> i think that the language of Pd and it's UI are non-separable.

Agree on some level but there *is *a formal language in the netlist that is
predictable, it's just that no one is expected to actually program with it.

certainly you could call it "untrustworthy" though...cos there's no way of
> telling creation order from the GUI, and cut and paste or other re-patching
> is liable to open your patch to changes which would re-order things.
> for all intents and purposes, you're best off thinking of it as totally
> random.

Yeah totally which why I think it's a UI issue and not something to be
pushed onto the User as a bug in their code.

On a sidenote:

Does cut and paste actually change the connection order? That's really
freaky if so.