[PD] Present and future of WebPd

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Sep 10 06:29:39 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 09/09/15 17:41, s p wrote:
> Plugins are a bit 2000 ;) flash and java and friends .... they
> are going to disappear sooner or later

Also Javascript:

https://brendaneich.com/2015/06/from-asm-js-to-webassembly/#buried-lede

At least, JS will probably become relatively less popular as the
language for web browsers in the next 5 years in that you will get C
compilers (and Java compilers!) targeting .wasm binary. When they get
wasm VMs as efficient as the JVM then things are going to get very
interesting.

Also LISPs, which everybody knows are about to take over at *any moment*
between Recursive Functions of Symbolic Expressions and Their
Computation by Machine in 1960 and now. Any moment now, I tell you!

[At this point it's interesting to ask why they didn't just integrate
the JVM more tightly/correctly/seamlessly with browsers from about 2001,
and, well, *facepalm*.]

Post-wasm browsers, compiling libpd (and maybe even Pd + tcl heh) for
the browser becomes a no-brainer because you just tweak the Makefile to
ask GCC to target wasm instead of x86 [please apply Hofstadter's law
here]. "Won't Take Long" (tm) etc.

Cheers,

Chris.

--