[PD] Present and future of WebPd

s p sebpiq at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 08:10:44 CEST 2015

Wow!!! I didn't know about web assembly!!!

This said, We're not there yet, there will be probably a lot of opposition,
like there was with asm.js (people saying we should rather optimize JS
engines, as there is apparently lots lots of room for improvement).
Also, writing browser code fully in C++ would be a huge step backwards in
terms of usability for software developers. Probably the thing that is
going to happen is rather that JS will stay the go to language, and small
CPU-intensive functions will be reimplemented using webassembly.
And anyways, even if al of this happen, that won't be for another 5 years
before it lands ... and in 5 years so many things can happen in software
world (skynet etc ...)!

--

*Sébastien Piquemal*

 -----* @sebpiq*