[PD] WAS future of WebPd- dreaming

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 13 20:40:45 CEST 2015

In Pd-l2ork, I've added [draw] commands to data structures which implement a subset of SVG functionality.  (Essentially its the same functionality most 2d APIs offer-- affine transformations, paths, and grouping.)  I also have the usual mouse events which can be associated with each shape in the drawing.  In fact, I just found out HTML5 has some touch events, so I'm going to test them out with my new RPI touchscreen. :)
As far as d3 and friends-- I think the thing to do is just load whatever framework along with webpd (or use that framework in my gui port), then send messages back and forth between the two.
In my port I'm just using the DOM fairly directly, but it's pretty easy to leverage any of the various frameworks under the hood to get more efficiency/expressivity in rendering the patch.  The one danger I'd point out is adding features inside Pd proper.  Even the very simple bbox calculation for Pd-Vanilla's scalars can quickly eat up cpu time and interrupt audio.  The complexity it takes to get everything to "just work" from the same programming environment is evident from the number of processes running in a modern browser.
-Jonathan