[PD] Understanding the mechanics of rebuilding Pd's DSP graph

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 20 06:30:52 CEST 2015

Matt-- I don't believe that bug has been fixed.
Roman-- I haven't looked closely at the relevant code, but it looks like Pd recalculates the graph-- a single graph for the runninginstance of Pd-- every time you add/remove a tilde object.  (Not sure aboutcontrol objects, but it's easy to test.)
The reason I'm comfortable speculating about this is the existence ofwireless tilde objects like [throw~] and [catch~] which use globalreceiver names.  When you change an object inside a tiny patch with100 other patches open in the same Pd instance, how would Pd know thatyou aren't altering a [throw~] which has a [catch~] in one of the 100 otherpatches?  Same for [send~]/[receive~], [delwrite~]/[delread~]/[vd~],[table]/[tab*~], etc.
Here's the dsp_tick routine in d_ugen.c:

void dsp_tick(void)
{
    if (dsp_chain)
    {
        t_int *ip;
        for (ip = dsp_chain; ip; ) ip = (*(t_perfroutine)(*ip))(ip);
        dsp_phase++;
    }
}

That is-- execute each dsp routine in the global array of dsp routines untilthere are no more dsp routines to execute.
But this makes me wonder-- how does Supercollider "do its thing"?  Seems likeit has an interface to add/remove parts of its dsp graph, and it can do so in a
much more efficient manner.
-Jonathan