[PD] Understanding the mechanics of rebuilding Pd's DSP graph

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 09:55:47 CEST 2015

Things are a lot more encapsulated in SuperCollider, and it can afford to
be more efficient because 1) the DSP flow doesn't need to be in a strict
correspondence with what appears in a GUI graph, 2) the user is not
responsible for the DSP flow unless they want to be and do it on purpose
with head/tail instantiation or node numbering, and 3) there are only a few
ways of passing information between ugens: directly as arguments to another
ugen, variables, and buses. Data in an SC Synth is more protected from the
outside than anything in Pd is (as abstractions in Pd are still in the
global space despite the dollarsign locality tricks), and the bus system
controls I/O to and from Synths much more strictly. Pd doesn't enforce any
of that because of its pledge to keep things global; this makes it
extremely flexible, but at the price of a potentially more convoluted DSP
graph.

What would be interesting to know is whether there are best practices for
patching that would help out the ugen graph routine.